What a scorcher! It’s been a great week of activities and learning at West Langley Elementary.
- The Grade 7s started the week at Camp Jubilee. They did nature hikes, kayaking, ropes courses, team-building, and more. The food was great, the company was great, and the learning was great. Thanks to the staff at Camp Jubilee, the grade 7 teachers, the parent volunteers who joined the class, and to the kids themselves for making a great camp experience for everyone. We’ve got before and after pictures (everyone looks essentially unscathed) as a preview of what the grade 7s will see at their leaving ceremony in a couple of weeks. We don’t want to give away any more than that!
- Division 9 are growing plants. And they’re learning an awful lot about them. Here are some sample learnings:
- “Plants make Oxygen for us”
- “The seed casing makes it harder for the seed to sprout.”
- “The deeper you plant the seed, the longer it takes to sprout.”
- “The seeds have to work hard for the leaves to sprout.”
- “Plants can survive without humans, but we can’t survive without plants!”
- Division 3 had a wonderful time a while back doing an Amazing Race while they learned some Social Studies. Now they’re sharing the fun by building their own Amazing Race for the students of Division 5.
- We have to ROAR ‘Thank you!’ to all you parents. Thanks to the fundraising efforts of the PAC, we have a whole bunch of new basketballs, dodge balls, and other gym equipment. We also got to order some excellent science supplies to help us learn even more, and to let more of us participate in those explorations at once. Thank you very much.
- You knew I had to include Sports Day! Sooo much fun! Soooo much sun! Thanks to the parents who ran the concession, the parents, grandparents, and others who came to support the kids. Thanks to the teachers and support staff who made everything go transparently, even when I went off-script! Thanks to the great grade 7 students who ran stations, adapted them to meet student needs, set up and took down, and were generally fantastic! And thanks to all the kids who participated so well, showed great sprotsmanship, and were wonderful to work with.