Hey! It’s a long weekend. I can’t believe I’ve been here at West Langley for nearly 5 months already. Thanks for being such a great community of learners, families and staff!
- Monday saw the Grade 6/7 classes off to the Stave Falls Powerhouse where they learned about Hydroelectric power generation in our part of BC.
- The grade 5s have been sooo lucky with the weather they’ve had during their swim program at Al Anderson pool. They’re learning both aquatic skills and some first aid. It wouldn’t be at all surprising to find out that there are some future lifeguards in the group!
- On Thursday and Friday, the Township of Langley Fire Safety House was here for our primary students. I must sheepishly admit that we’re not as good at practicing at home the things we practice at school.
- Our Inquiry Fair is coming up in just a couple of weeks. On May 28, students will be presenting their findings to parents (in the morning), to each other, and to visitors from the School Board in the afternoon. We are excited to see what they’ve been learning, and to hear about the inquiry process from a student point-of-view. The annual parent appreciation tea will also happen that morning – no concert this time; we thought we’d change it up a bit. As a bit of a teaser, you can expect to see work about an impossibly wide range of topics, from Lions to trains to battles from World War 2. Some students will be sharing their final projects, and others will be sharing in-process work; it is fascinating to see what they are thinking, and to hear the questions they are asking as they progress through the Inquiry spiral.
- On Thursday, we were honoured and excited to have visitors from Apple Canada and Apple Global Education visit us to see what we’re doing with technology as a learning tool. Stephanie, Tom, and Allan visited Divisions 3, 5, and 7, and saw students blogging, doing math, supporting each other, and delving into their inquiry topics. It is easy to forget here that what we are really doing at the school is at the leading edge of technology implementation in schools. The innovation, skills and hard work of our staff have taken this school to the fore, and will keep us there.
Have a great (and SAFE) long weekend. The roads will be busy!