It has been another great week at West Langley. With the beautiful, albeit cold, weather and Christmas approaching, the energy has been at a fever pitch. Staff and students are busy with important learning activities while preparing for the festive season ahead. Please take a minute to check out our 5 Things To ROAR About for December 6th, featuring our student blogger, Jaydia. And, as always, share it with you family and friends.
1. Student Blogger, Jaydia, Gets Festive With Division Eight: This week Mrs Williams’ class was working on Christmas activities. First of all they wrote letters to Santa and told him what they wanted for Christmas. By doing this, students practised their writing skills while using a topic that was engaging to them. Then they also wrote poems of what they are waiting for, for Christmas. This helped them learn their creative writing skills. Lastly the kids are in the process of painting paper to later be cut up into strips to go around candle holders. All the kids are all very excited about Christmas coming up, that they all have the “Christmas crazes”, as Mrs Williams said.
2. Book Fair: This past week, West Langley held its annual Scholastic Book Fair. There was a lot of energy in the library as students had the opportunity to purchase books they are interested in reading. With it being such an important skill and passion for life-long success, it is always great to have time focused on books and reading. The Scholastic Book Fair is also a great fundraiser for our library, allowing us to purchase resources. A huge thank you Mrs Wallis for organizing this worthwhile event and to all the volunteers who helped make it possible. Thank you parents: Mrs Reeder, Mrs Black, Mrs Thorpe, Mrs Dickson, Mrs Martin, Mrs Beauchamp, Mrs Sousa, Mrs Bailey, Mrs Russell, Mrs Cooke, Mrs McKenzie, Mrs Swart, Mrs Southam, Mrs Boyd, Mrs MacDonald, Mrs Grywacheski, Ms Ferguson, Mrs Hjorth, and Mr Thorpe.
3. Raising Money For Philippines: As many of you are aware, the Philippines was hit with a horrible typhoon a few weeks back. One of our students, Yerxa, was directly affected by this tragedy as she has many family and friends living in the effected region. And instead of just standing by worrying, she decided she wanted to do something about it. So along with her friend, Kaylee, they decided to hold a raffle for Canucks tickets to raise money to send to Doctors Without Borders, so they could support the Philippines in the aftermath. And in a very short time, the girls raised $240.00!! Congratulations to Ronil, who won the tickets and a huge thank you to these great young leaders at West Langley.
4. Vaudeville Comes To West Langley: This past week, the staff and students were treated to a very entertaining show put on by Susie and Versatiles. This group is made up of all senior citizens who entertain their audiences in a variety show format. This presentation had a Christmas theme to help everyone get into the festive spirit. There was singing and dancing and even some fun with Ms. Homan, Ms Iggy and Mr Davids. And one of the best parts was getting to see one of our very own staff member’s grandfathers perform. Miss Plant was proud of her Grandpa and the rest of the performers. Check out the video of everyone singing Jingle Bells below, and click here to see more pictures from this memorable assembly.
5. Class Act Recipients: Each year, West Langley is proud to be a part of the Class Act program. This great tradition recognizes grade seven students who are excellent leaders and role models around the school. Each month they are presented with a plaque, T-shirt and gift card from McDonalds, one of the sponsors. At our assembly this past week, the following students were recognized: Mackenzie (September), Jaydia (October) and Daniel (November). Each of these students exemplifies what it means to be a wonderful West Langley Lion. Check out what was said about each of these amazing students at the assembly by clicking here.