Happy Thanksgiving to the entire West Langley Community. We have so many things to be grateful for here at our wonderful school. This past week, many staff and students participated in learning activities that highlighted this important time of appreciation. Check out our 5 Things To ROAR About for October 11th. Also, be sure to share with your family and friends.
1. West Langley Students Enjoy Fruits Of Their Labour: It was a very exciting day on Tuesday for the West Langley students as they saw all their hard work selling Entertainment Books come to fruition. The school-wide goal was to sell 275 books buy our community crushed that benchmark, selling 352 books! And because they did that, the students got to wear their pajamas while Mr. Davids spent the day sporting a tutu. Some of the higher sellers got an ice cream treat at lunch and a few students also won individual prizes. There was great spirit and the PAC raised about $5000 for the school. Thank you to Mrs. Southam and Mrs. Beauchamp for their hard work. Check out the pix by clicking here.
2. Mrs. O’Byrne’s Class Make Friendship Soup: Each year, Mrs. O’Byrne has a great Thanksgiving tradition she does with her primary students. Each child brings something to put in a class soup. Whether it is beans, meat, vegetables or broth, everyone contributes. And at the end, this collaborative effort creates a delicious lunch they enjoy in the afternoon. And while everyone eats, they take turns sharing with the class what they are thankful for. It is a great way for students to learn about working together and showing gratitude. Check out these great pictures on their class website.
3. Three Students Represent West Langley At Cross Country Championship: Over the past few weeks, students in grades four to seven have been competing at the cross country races out at Aldergrove Lake. And this past week, three of our students earned the privilege to compete in the championship race. Out of over 700 students, it is really an honour to compete against the best of the best. Congratulations to grade four students Ian and Mya as well as grade five student Jasmine. They finished in 12th, 13th and 3rd place respectively. West Langley is very proud of you! Click here for a quick movie of our three athletes.
4. Mrs Williams Students Share Literacy Success: One of the highlights of my day is when Mrs Williams
sends her K/1 students down to the office to share their learning successes from class. This past week, Jacob and Hannah along with some other students came to share their ability to re-tell a story. They were given pictures that were all mixed up and had to put them in the correct order. They then came down and retold me the story. They were so proud.
5. Mrs Gordon’s Class Share About Themselves: The students in Mrs. Gordon’s class have been creating some great pieces of writing and art work based on their own stories. They got to share lots about themselves and show their creative side as well. It was really nice to be able to stop in the hall and read about our wonderful Ks and Grade ones. Check out a complete slide show of their pictures here.