What an amazing week. West Langley was truly buzzing with awesome learning activities. In fact, students were immersed in authentic activities and the energy was palpable. Check out our 5 Things To ROAR About for September 20th and share them with someone you know.
1. Division 5 Participates In Mystery Skype: The students in Ms Olson’s class were literally bouncing off the walls while participating in their first ever “mystery skype.” In this great learning activity, students connected with another class somewhere else in the world and had to undertake in discovering where they were located. They were only allowed to ask yes or no questions to help them learn the location. But the real learning came not only in coming up with quality questions to ask, but also in the collaborative effort it took to use the information they gathered to narrow down the location. Eventually they discovered their mystery class was located near Wichita, Kansas in the United States. Their engagement in this activity was extremely high and the learning will be long-lasting. Click here for more pictures and check out what they tweeted out during the lesson by clicking here.
2. West Langley Goes And Flies A Kite: On Monday and Tuesday, West Langley welcomed renowned kite expert Wayne Pattison from Windrush Kites to the school. After he did an assembly talking about the history of kites and showing off some of his more awesome examples, he worked with each class to design and build their very own kites. The students had a great time building them and an even better time flying them. In fact, all week, students could be seen outside on the field with their kites flying high above them. There are some more great pictures here.
3. Cross Country Off And Running: On this past Wednesday, the grade 4 – 7 students participated in the first Cross Country Meet of the season. There were a lot of nerves, but the students ran extremely well and represented the school magnificently. There are over 750 athletes who compete in the race and some of our students qualified for the championship race already. There are two more races before the final one so come out and cheer on our students Wednesday September 25th and October 2nd. A full slide show of pictures is available here.
4. Welcome Back BBQ / Meet The Staff: On Wednesday, West Langley held its annual back to school BBQ and as usual, it was a huge success. The weather totally cooperated as family had the opportunity to get re-acquainted after the summer holidays as well as meet their child’s teachers and support staff. The turn-out was great and the food even better. A huge thanks to the grade seven parents and students who organized the BBQ and ran the event. It was just another example of what an amazing community West Langley is.Here are some pictures of this great event.
5. Coffee And Muffins Greet Kindergarten Parents On Child’s First Full Day: This past week saw the end of the gradual entry program for our Kindergarten students and their first full day of school. And to help the parents with the transition … since it is usually harder for them 🙂 the PAC invited them to the library for coffee and pastries. This was a great opportunity for them to not only learn about the PAC and ask questions of Mr. Davids and Mrs Swerdan, but more importantly, to get to know the other parents. Relationships were made that will last throughout their years at West Langley. Thank you to Mrs. Southam and Mrs. Thorpe for putting this great event together.