Happy Friday the 13th! It has been a great first full week here at West Langley Elementary. Students have settled into their classes and are starting to develop those positive relationships with teachers and SEAs that will ensure success all year long. Here are our 5 Things To ROAR About for September 13th. Enjoy!
1. Buy Low Foods Makes Generous Donations: This past week, the students in Mrs Gordon’s K/1 class had a very special delivery from some of the staff at the Walnut Grove Buy Low Foods store. Over the past few weeks, the customers and workers there have been collecting money and school supplies for our students. And on Monday, they delivered 30 back packs full of all sorts of things students need for their learning. The students (and Mrs. Gordon) were truly shocked and endlessly grateful. A huge thank you to everyone at Buy Low Foods for this amazing donation. Check out a full slide show of pictures by clicking here.
2. A Musical Scavenger Hunt: As the students had their first music classes with Mrs. Schmidt, they were given a list of items to find around the classroom and halls, all related to music. It was a great way for them to get comfortable in the music room while learning about a variety of different music concepts. The most popular stop was a bulletin board that had famous Canadian musicians (and a few West Langley musicians) disguised with mustaches. Mrs Schmidt and the students are off to a great start on their musical year.
3. Explosive Science In Division 6: Ms. Cowling had the anticipation at a fever pitch during one of the science lessons in the grade two/three class. She presented the students with baking powder, some vinegar, a pop bottle and a balloon and had them hypothesize what would happen when they were combined. Students tapped into their previous knowledge and came up with several theories on what would occur. They were then treated to the actual experiment, something they will remember for a while.
4. Strong Start Off To A Strong Start: For the past few year, Mrs. Menzies has run an incredible Strong Start program here at West Langley. Her room is often full shortly after it opens at 9:00 and parents rave about the amazing activities and learning that go on while the children are there. Based on the first week alone, it is clear that this year will be no exception. Everyday has seen a full house, and parents are already commenting on how wonderful the program, and Mrs. Menzies are. We are so proud that engaged learning starts at West Langley even before they reach Kindergarten.
5. Mirror Mirror On The Wall: While this has been an exciting week for all our students, our Kindergarten children have probably had the most memorable week of all our students. Watching the excitement in their eyes as they being their learning journey at West Langley has been great. In Mrs. Wong’s class, the students drew self portraits and it was fascinating to see how they all view themselves. It is going to be a real treat watching them grow and develop throughout this school year. Click here to see all of the mirror drawings.