We had such an amazing last week of school. The year goes by so quickly but we have had many many things to celebrate at West Langley in our 5 Things To ROAR About. And even though the week was short for students, the celebrations and success were plentiful. Here are the last 5 Things To ROAR About for the 2012-2013 school year:
1. Grade 7 Farewell: This past Tuesday, our grade sevens enjoyed the final celebration of their journey at West Langley Elementary. Parents and family were invited to join the students in a ceremony where Mariah did a wonderful job of emceeing. Ethan gave a great thank you speech to the staff, Jaira gave an amazing speech to the parents and Joanne shared some words of wisdom to her peers. After the certificates were handed out, the adults left so the students could enjoy dinner (potluck from the parents) and then some music and dancing. It was a great way to end their school year and celebrate their transition into high school. Before going home, each student received a “goodie” bag and a great prize. A huge thank you to all the businesses that donated prizes: MAC’s, Kernel’s Popcorn, Starbucks, Subway, McDonalds, Boston Pizza, Fresh Slice, ID Salon, Jo Boscott from Mary Kay Cosmetics, Ryan Jobs, Coastal Fitness Services, Cathy Empey Portrait, Collyer & Sparrow Jewelry design. Click here for more photos.
2. Class Act Recipients Hit The Pool: Each month of this school year, we have presented a Grade seven student with the Class Act Award. This earned by being the kind of student we want all of our other students to model themselves after. At the end of the year, McDonald’s hosts a party for all the recipients in Langley at Al Anderson Pool. And even though the weather was less than great, the students had an amazing time swimming, listening to inspiration speaker, Para-Olympian Josh Vander Vies, and eating cupcakes. Congratulations to Justin, Sveta, Shayleen, Joanne, Katie, Mackenzie D, Mackenzie R, Dannon, Ritesh, Chloe. You are all truly Class Acts! Click here for more pictures of this great day.
3. Primary Beach Day: It has been a long standing tradition at West Langley that during the last week of school, all the primary classes head to a beach in the White Rock area. On Tuesday of this past week, our youngest students enjoyed a fabulous day of combing the beach for treasures. Many kids came back talking about crabs, shells and even jelly fish. They got to play games and enjoyed a picnic lunch. And while the weather did not totally cooperate, the sun did make a brief appearance. Regardless the students were able to get into the summer mood while creating memories that will last forever. More photos can be found here.
4. Buddy Bowling: Many of our classes had a wind-up activity to celebrate a year of buddies working together. Ms. McLeod’s and Mrs. Gordon’s classes went to the bowling alley for some fun on the last full day of school. The kids had a great time, with the big buddies helping the younger student enjoy success just like they have done all year long. It is so valuable to have a mentoring program like this at West Langley and is also nice to celebrate its success with some fun.
5. Golden Lion Awards: Each year at West Langley, part of the year end assembly is the presenting of the Golden Lion Awards. We know that talents and skills come in many different forms so part of the philosophy behind these awards is to recognize excellence in a variety of areas. Each intermediate class selects five recipients in any combination of the categories below. Congratulations to all our winners (see their pix here)