What a great week!!! They really seem to fly by the closer we get to the end of the school year. It is really is hard to believe we only have two more weeks to go. Here are the 5 Things To ROAR About for June 14th. Please be sure to share with your family and friends.
1. Sports Day: Even though Mother Nature did not cooperate, West Langley had an incredible day of fun and activities outside. The day started with the traditional wheels parade where students did an amazing job showing their house team spirit by making their bikes, wagons, etc shine in their team colours. Next we did an array of relay-type activities that were run by the grade seven students. They did an excellent job is organizing the events and cheering on the competitors. After a great hot lunch and a special visit from the Township of Langley Fire Department the entire school dried off and warmed up with a movie. We postponed the school-wide activities until the last week of school.Thank you to all the staff and volunteer parents for their hard work in organizing this special day. And a special thanks to Tosuta for donating candy and to Frito Lays for donating chips to our concession. It was a great help in raising money for next year’s Grade 7 camp. We have a large slide show of pictures available by clicking here.
2. Sm:)e Performs At West Langley: On Monday, the students at West Langley were treated to up and coming band Sm:)e. This group of three extremely talented ladies performed popular songs and even a few for those of us ‘older’ folks. What was great for our students to see was that not only is Sm:)e a band based in Surrey/Langley but all three girls are ages 12 or 13. It was really inspiring for our own students to see where their talent and ambition could take them. In fact, there was a huge line-up of students asking for autographs once the show was over. We look forward to watching this group grow as they develop a larger and larger fan base. More pictures can be found here.
3. Division 2 Hits The Alley: As a way to celebrate a successful year, the students in Mrs. Senften’s grade 6/7 class went to Alder Alley for some bowling fun. There were a lot of laughs as students tested their 5 pin bowling skills, trying desperately to knock down the pins. They enjoyed a pizza lunch and definitely had a ton of fun. There are different activities coming up for our grade sixes and sevens separately so it was great that this class could enjoy some bonding time together. Check out more of the fun by clicking here.
4. Parents Show Appreciation For West Langley Staff: This past week, the staff at West Langley was treated to any amazing feast put on by the parents. The theme this year was wild west. The BBQ was fired up and everyone enjoyed burgers, salads and some incredible desserts. We are truly blessed at West Langley to have such amazing parents and we greatly appreciated the way you recognized the hard work of the staff for your children. Thank you to all the parents who contributed food, helped in the library and to Mrs. DeNiet for organizing this great afternoon. Click here for more pictures of the festivities.
5. Simon Earns Lunch Through Math: In Miss McLeod’s class, the grade 4 and 5 students do weekly math drills to help them practice some of the basic facts we want to be automatic. As a motivator, there are several rewards given for different milestones, the peak being a free lunch from anywhere if a student can get 100 out of 100 for 10 weeks in a row. This past week, Simon earned this prestigious award and chose Wendy’s to celebrate. Congratulations to Simon on this impressive feat.