As the staff at West Langley spend the day working on their own professional development, it is time once again to share some of the successes around the school from this past week. The weather was amazing and the learning that was occurring was even better. Please take a minute to share our 5 Things To ROAR About for May 5th.
1. Canucks Spirit Day: As our beloved Vancouver Canucks begin another run for the Stanley Cup, the staff and students at West Langley showed their hometown pride by wearing their blue and green for the first game of the playoffs. There were many jerseys to be seen and students were dressed up in various Vancouver shirts, hats and other items, showing that “We Are All Canucks.” Here’s hoping we get many more Canucks spirit days for the next few weeks. Check out some more pictures by clicking here.
2. West Langley Gets Running: With the onset of Spring comes the traditional West Langley running club. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings, students come out under the supervision of Mrs. Robinson to participate in a variety of running activities. This past week in the beautiful sunshine, students participated in long runs as well as sprint races. Running club is on for the next few weeks so please come out at 8:00 by Mrs. Robinson’s room to participate. More photos can be found here.
3. Daniel Shares His Science Learning: As we move closer to our first Inquiry Fair on May 15th, many of our students are participating in projects that allow them to construct their own learning on a topic that they are passionate about. This past week, grade 7 student, Daniel E, shared his understanding of electrolysis with water to his classmates. While his hands-on model demonstration was impressive, what was more amazing was his deep knowledge about what was actually going on. Daniel was able to explain the science behind what the students were witnessing in a way that made sense to them. Way to go Daniel. Click here to see his written report.
4. Roses Are Red: The students in Division 6 have been working hard this past week on a special gift for their moms for Mother’s Day. The TTOC in the room, Ms. Cooper, had them make these amazing roses and attached to each one is an original, and heartfelt poem about that important maternal figure in their life. I know there will certainly be some tears shed next Sunday when these special people receive their special gift.
5. Grade 7s Hit The Links: For the past couple weeks, some of our grade 7 students have had the opportunity to go to Redwoods Golf Course and get free lessons from one of the pros there. They learn about driving, chipping and putting and in a couple weeks, they get to play a round on this beautiful course. It is a great chance for them to either hone their golf skills or pick up a club and develop a love for this great game. Either way, they are memories they will not forget. Click here to see some more photos.